We are seeking a senior-level Production Artist to operate as the lead in the production studio department. The Production Studio Manager is responsible for working together with the traffic coordinator to manage all work through the department with uncompromising quality standards and technical detail. The Production Studio Manager coordinates the schedule for production artists within the department, freelancers or a combination of both for producing finished artwork and digital pre-press files.
The Production Studio Manager should have a minimum of five years of experience in advertising art production, with a broad knowledge of printing techniques and requirements, digital pre-press, and typography/font management. S/he must be expert in Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, PowerPoint, and other industry design and production software. This senior-level position should be confident in working directly with the Executive Creative Director and other senior level creative team members to help the creative vision become a reality in print, digital or other required medium.
The Production Studio Manager is responsible for working with the Executive Creative Director to specify purchases of and managing licensing for outside art services including illustration and photography, translations, retouching, color proofs, special fonts, etc. The lead production artist coordinates with the print manager and oversees the release of all digital pre-press artwork for outside production, proofing for technical accuracy. S/he must be an extremely efficient organizer and coordinator with the ability to consistently produce quality workmanship while meeting deadlines. Strong interpersonal and mentoring skills are a necessity.
Skills and Duties:
- Receives production jobs and final art assignments from traffic coordinator
- Discusses final art with assigned art director/creative director to ensure all available input is clearly transmitted for each project
- Contributes to production of final artwork where workload deems necessary or when specifically requested
- Works with art directors/creative directors in selecting appropriate vendors/freelancers to do jobs required to complete internal production
- Coordinates all aspects of final art (digital proofs, outsourced/freelancer artwork/files, font purchases/licenses, pre-press file preparation, file testing, etc.)
- Manages relationship and process with clients and outside vendor partners for all database asset management needs and develops internal workflow to manage requirements of vendor process
- Discusses outside production elements required for jobs with various vendors in conjunction with traffic manager/print manager/creative director/digital director
- Alerts traffic manager and responsible account team lead of production delays that may affect deadlines.
- Responsible for quality control of all jobs that go to finished art; proofs/reviews with production artist prior to releasing finished art for final creative/account executive/client approval
- Responsible for day-to-day production studio department operation, including but not limited to: inventory/reorder of supplies; supervision/maintenance of freelance artist records; and interface with traffic and creative on all scheduling
- Notifies business manager of necessary computer hardware and software maintenance, upgrades or new purchases
- Represents production studio department at all agency status meetings and weekly team meetings
- Maintains current computer software skills compatible with the needs of other creative team members
The Ideal Candidate is:
- 8+ years of relevant work experience: minimum of five years of experience in advertising art production, with a broad knowledge of printing techniques and requirements, digital pre-press, and typography/font management and a minimum of three years of experience in a managerial role
- An extremely efficient organizer and scheduler with the ability to consistently drive production artists to produce quality workmanship while meeting deadlines
- Strong interpersonal and mentoring skills are a necessity
- Ability to work fluently in current office applications, including Word, PowerPoint, etc.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, etcetera), maintains current computer software skills compatible with the needs of other creative team members
- Demonstrated ability to foster collaboration and inspire confidence with peers, colleagues, and partners; build relationships across disciplines, both internal partners and external partners, e.g. vendors
- Demonstrated ability to see many perspectives; desire to understand other people’s passions, experiences
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in teams
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work
- Demonstrated ability to work on concurrent projects and consistently deliver work on deadline
- Demonstrated strong problem-solving, communication and critical thinking skills
Compensation and Benefits:
Competitive salary and excellent benefits including health, life, dental, vision and disability insurance; 401k plan; parking and more.
Send resume, portfolio link and salary requirements to: email@example.com. In the subject line of your e-mail, be sure to include “Production Studio Manager” Or mail to: Traction Factory, 247 S. Water Street, Milwaukee, WI 53204.