For Traction Factory to evolve, a trip to the past was necessary. Momentum isn’t generated in cubicle farms or with talent surrounded by soulless mass-produced office paintings. Evolution is found in a rehabbed factory rich in its own history and equipped with some of the brightest minds in the industry.
Back in 1921, the occupants of 247 S. Water St. crafted glass for the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company. As production ceased and the building’s purpose changed over time, it became an afterthought, surrounded by other buildings in the area realizing the same fate. Things tend to come full circle, and Walker’s Point is no different. Over time, its dormant factories and warehouses found new life as residences, offices and restaurants, adding vibrancy to a neighborhood steeped in history and diversity.
Symbolic of our new neighborhood, we tapped into its resurgence by taking on the challenge of reviving this sleeping giant. We respected the heritage of the neighborhood and the building by incorporating some of the structure’s original elements. We shared our momentum with the community by utilizing local artisans and our next-door neighbors at Plunkett Raysich Architects for design. With 10,000 square feet to generate creativity and an environment designed to foster collaboration and innovation, our ability to spark momentum internally and externally is headed to the next level.
Over the next few weeks, as we reveal more about our space and what makes us go, we believe you’ll say the same thing we did upon stepping foot in our new digs: “This is it.”